Merrittocracy

Girl Talk Thursday: Music

I'm exhausted today. We raised $600 for the homeless shelter, which is awesome, but holy shit I'm so beat. My brain is just kind of a big pile of mush today, so instead of even attempting to write a real post, I'm playing along with Mommy Melee's Girl Talk Thursday. Today's topic: Music.

Its no secret that I love music, so to get an even workable list has been really hard. There are a lot of songs that aren't on here that probably should be, some of these are the ones that struck me today (read: came on my iPod when I was writing), and some are my favorite songs in the whole world.

Freebird, Lynyrd Skynyrd
Lord knows, I cant change.
Lord help me, I can't change.

It just doesn't get much better than Skynyrd and Freebird. I've loved this song since I was a little girl, no more than 5 or 6 years old. I remember the first time I knew I loved this song. I was in the backyard when my dad was grilling barbeque chicken, and Freebird came on. He turned up the radio and then closed his eyes and start to nod along with the music. Then the guitar solo started and I closed my eyes and put my arms out and spun around in circles. I felt so alive, so free. I think it was the first time I felt what true euphoria felt like. When I listen to this song now, I still feel like that little girl spinning around in the back yard. As corny as it sounds, I feel like this song is about everything that I've always been about, it's just a part of me.

Love Song, 311
However long I stay, I will always love you
Whatever words I say, I will always love you
I will always love you
It was the middle of the night, all the lights were out and we danced in the kitchen to this song, without saying a word. It was unprompted, unrehearsed and so sexy. The drums, the beat, everything about this song is just so unbelievably sexy. It also happens to be our song, because the lyrics are like a mirror for our relationship. At the time Chris and I got together, our lives were both completely messed up. Our relationship made no sense, we argued constantly, we didn't work at all, we never were supposed to be together, except that we were like a magnet for each other. This song tells that story beautifully, and perfectly.

Ripple, The Grateful Dead
Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
If your cup is full may it be again
Let it be known there is a fountain
That was not made by the hands of man

I love just about everything the Dead did, but Ripple is in a whole other league. It has a beautiful melody, and the lyrics are just mind-blowing. I don't know why it's not played in every single church of every denomination on Sunday mornings. It should be. It needs to be. It's one of the most beautiful and profound songs ever written. Truly, words fail me when I try to explain it

Dr. Feelgood, Motley Crue
I've got one thing you'll understand
He's not what you'd call a glamorous man

Oh, Motley Crue, how I love you. The Dr. Feelgood album was the second album I ever owned (Guns N Roses, Appetite for Destruction was my first), and at 30, I still love Tommy Lee and Nikki Sixx just as much as I did when I was 10. I remember seeing the video for Dr. Feelgood, and thinking, Oh. My. God. This is coolest thing, EVER! I love the screeching guitars, the banging drums, every single bit of it is so completely kick ass. It's so beyond the hair bands and metal of the 80's, it's just pure, old fashioned rock.

Would?, Alice in Chains
Am I wrong?
Have I run too far to get home?

I spent a lot of time when I was a teenager being pissed off, confused and feeling totally alone. I felt like I was bouncing back and forth between being an adult with adult issues (abusive boyfriend and such), and just wanting to be the daughter that I used to be before I made some really, REALLY bad choices. This song embodied all of that for me. It's a great 90's grunge song, complete with the gritty guitar and hard rocking drums, it's angry rock at its best.

Pour Some Sugar on Me, Def Leppard
Do you take sugar? One lump or two?
Did I ever I tell you I went through a phase where I wanted to be either a stripper or a Playboy centerfold? I used to look at my dad's Playboy magazines (he was a bad hider) and I thought that the women looked so glamorous and beautiful, I always wanted to feel that beautiful. I loved to dance, so it seemed a natural progression that I'd take my love of dancing and mix it with my desire to be beautiful and become a stripper. As it turns out, I'm a huge chicken and would never be able to strip in public. And being a stripper or Playmate doesn't make you beautiful, just naked. Also, I have self-esteem and body issues. But if I didn't, Pour Some Sugar on Me would totally be my stripping song. I like to think of it as an anthem of sorts, if would-be strippers had anthems.

Tribute, Tenacious D
And he said:
"Play the best song in the world, or I'll eat your soul."
Well me and Kyle, we looked at each other,
And we each said... "Okay."

This song is silly, it's hard to see Tenacious D as a real rock band (it's Jack Black's band), and it really shouldn't be on any best of lists, except that it's a great song, and it's Chris' song. If I could ever explain Chris, what he's like, his sense of humor, his wit...all of it. I'd sum it up by saying he's so much like Jack Black its scary. I never really realized it until a few years ago when this song came on and Chris started singing it and I was like, gasp! You're Jack Black! It's kinda freaky. I can't even listen to Tribute without smiling because it reminds me so much of Chris, plus it really is a cool song.

Let it Rock, Kevin Rudolf, featuring Lil' Wayne
And you take your time.
And you stand in line
where you'll get what's yours,
I got mine
.
I know this is a new song, and I don't like most new songs, but I love, love, love this song. I first heard this song at a cheering competition with Kat, and I was like, ok, maybe all new music isn't shit. I love that it has a killer beat, so it's fun to dance to, the lyrics are awesome, and it's just all around fun. On days I really need a pick-me up, I blast this song at it's all good again.


4 comments:

Melissa Dominic said...

the 311 version of that song is fantastic. but oh man, WOULD? i haven't heard that in so long. it is so good, auuugh!

melissa said...

what a cool meme type thing!!
i love that last song...whose name and artist never ceases to escape my memory and i have no clue why!! but i LOVE LOVE LOVE that song!!

Merritt said...

@lixue I'm glad you're enjoying it and thanks for commenting! It's nice to know someone is not only reading but taking the time to comment :)

Merritt said...

@Melissa Dominic, @melissa this list was so fun to do! Total trip down memory lane!