Merrittocracy

The big move

I've been going crazy this past week, I've really needed to just write, vent, whatever. And now that all the major players know, I can share with everyone else. We're moving. To Georgia.

It's crazy because I've lived in Maine my whole life, hell, I've lived in the same town my whole life, and there is nothing I want more than to get the hell out of here. Don't get me wrong, there are great things about Maine. Leaves changing in the fall, winter sports, snow, shoveling, the happening night life, driving at least an hour to do anything, and Fluff (like peanut butter and Fluff, did you know that's a Northern thing? I was kinda bummed when I found out). Chris and I have wanted to move for a long, long time. We'd always planned on moving when the kids graduated from high school, but we were presented an opportunity that we just couldn't pass up. So by this time next summer, I'll be writing from my new home in Georgia.

This weekend was really brutal. Kat did her last performance with the gym that she cheers at. She's decided that with the move happening in the spring/early summer, it would just be too much to be 100% committed to all-star cheering. I don't really disagree with her. It's a lot of commitment for all of us (her gym is an hour away), not mention the money. I'm really hoping that when we move I'll be able to stay home for a while with the kids to help them get adjusted. I'd love to be able to find a job that I could just work from home (suggestions, anyone?), but either way, this move is going to be expensive, and by her not cheering, we're going to save a ton of money.

When we weren't doing the cheering thing with Kat, we were putting away all the stuff that my parents brought back from my grandparents house in New York. They brought back beds, dressers, a ton of tools for Chris, and it's all dusty and dirty because it hasn't been taken care of in the year since they both passed away. We still have stuff to put away, but we're so tired and sweaty, we just gave up for today. We did get the kids' rooms all done. I have no counter or dining room table to speak of because there are tools all over it, but we'll try to tackle it again tomorrow. I think I'm also just emotionally spent.

I spent the whole week freaking out about telling my mom, afraid she wouldn't react well. We told her Saturday night. Pretty much my worst fears about it were confirmed. I'm hoping that she can get to a place where she can be happy for us, but that time just isn't now.

I'm so torn in a million different directions. It's like, I know this is the best thing for me, Chris and especially the kids, but I don't want to hurt my mom. I want desperately to leave, but I don't want to piss anyone off or burn my bridges. Gah, it all makes my head hurt.
blog comments powered by Disqus